I have always believed that the principals that you apply in one activity can be applied in another. This certainly can be the case with sport and business. Just recently I read a blog (HybridBizAdvisors) which states that sport has a way of teaching us valuable life lessons. As we grow up participating in sporting activities as a part of a team, we should win and lose with dignity, never give up or stop trying. Remember, the game is not over until the final whistle is blown.
In a past blog I mentioned how my son was playing in a basketball tournament, they were 8 points down with very little time left on the clock in the grand final. They stuck with their game plan, did not make any major mistakes and never gave up or stopped trying. Suffice to say they went on and won the grand final. This is one thing we can learn from our youth – a never say die attitude.
Winning in business is no different – execute your game plan, avoid critical mistakes, always keep trying (to do better), and don’t give in. You should always believe that you will be able to meet the challenge ahead. Don’t let years of average results hold you back.
The blog article listed 5 ways to help you to achieve your best:
- Fail Forward: You are going to make a mistake at some time. Learn from it and then move on. Nothing will be gained from dwelling too long on it.
- Dream Big: Even if you do not make it to the end, you will have gone further than if you had aimed small.
- Avoid pessimistic people: They will probably not achieve a great deal and take all the wind from your sails.
- Be Grateful: Appreciate the small things and the big ones will follow.
- Be positive: Within yourself and your abilities.
Sticking to your game plan is just as important in business as it is in sport and applying the above principles to anything you do in life will assist in the success you are striving for.